Case Study: Ecosave Energy Savings Project – Primo Smallgoods
Primo Smallgoods hungry for energy savings
Primo Smallgoods is the largest producer of ham, bacon and small goods in the Southern Hemisphere with over 4000 employees and processing sites throughout Australia. As a leading Australian manufacturer, Primo recognised improving environmental performance aligned with their business drivers to drive cost savings and enhance their ability to expand the operations.
Primo was able to identify and implement this project with the support of the EEO and CTIP program. It was by following these processes that Primo in partnership with Ecosave was able to demonstrate that the solutions not only met eligibility rules for external funding but was also technically and financially viable. This was critical to create the confidence to invest.
TO ACHIEVE THESE GOALS, PRIMO ENGAGED ECOSAVE TO:
- Complete the Energy Efficiency Opportunity (EEO) Assessment And Reporting Process
- Leverage external funding from the Clean Technology Investment Programme (CTIP)
- Design and implement Guaranteed Energy Savings Projects (GESPs) with an extensive range of energy savings across Chullora, Greenacre, Prestons, Scone, and the Hunter Valley
This allowed Primo smallgoods to implement a whole of site energy saving project that included:
- Refrigeration Plant Upgrade and Optimisation including select equipment replacement
- Rendering Plant Upgrade and Waste Heat Recovery
- Stick Water Optimisation and Coagulation
- Steam Boiler System Optimisation and Flash Steam Recovery
- Voltage Power Optimisation
- LED, lighting controls and other lighting technology upgrades
- HVAC Upgrades
This energy efficiency upgrade delivered multiple dividends and benefits to the business. General benefits other than energy savings that were realised included:
- HVAC Upgrades
- Increased production of 25%
- Improved quality control
- Labour cost savings
- New operational and maintenance procedures to help improve reliability
- Greater awareness of energy savings opportunities by staff
Primo’s Energy Efficiency Projects are saving $1.4 million and 6,194 tonnes of CO2-e annually. With the CTIP funding these projects will be paid off in under 2 years.